I like the bag a lot. It lives up to its name by being stout. The seems are great. Everything feels bombproof on it.
I wish It was a little bigger. I'm a law student at the moment and carry a lot of books and with my computer, a textbook and my lunch, the bag is at capacity. I wish it was a little fatter to accommodate just a little more. Once I have my rainpants in the bag, it is even a little tough to close the latches. That being said, even if the bag wasn't made to be fatter. The clips could be on a longer strap allowing the bag to stuffed a little more.
The only real complaint I have, however, are the two mesh pouches on the sides of the bag. The are too small to be useful. They are a bit shallow for a Nalgene and only really useful for bike gloves or an iPod.
All of that being said, I would buy this bag again. Its been great and totally worth the money.
Researching products before I buy them - reading user reviews, watching youtube videos, researching ratings from professional companies - is fun for me. When I knew I wanted a new bag, I started with about 10 different brands and narrowed it down to 4 - Mission Workshop, Rickshaw, Chrome Buran and Timbuk2. I ultimately went with Rickshaw and couldn't be more pleased.
I love that the look of the bag is customizable. Picking the bag's fabric textures and colors was fun. My bag is mine alone and doesn't look like something everyone else has. It has tons of pockets to store just about anything you could need from pens to kleenexes to dental floss. There's a lot of storage. I'm a concert pianist, music director and conductor. Currently I have two scores - each about 400 pages - in my bag, and I still have room for my piano tuning equipment and iPad. It's very nice that it stands by itself without having to lean up against something. The magnets to close it quickly and quietly are very nice. The strap doesn't get twisted and has nice padding - it's quite comfortable to wear. It's American made, a big bonus for me. All that and it's just one nice looking bag.
As for customer service, I placed my order over the weekend failing to realize that I hadn't filled out the street address for where it was to be shipped. On Monday, I had received an email from Katie, their director of operations, pointing out my omission. I replied back with the proper address. By that afternoon, she had replied thanking me (!) for my quick response. Awesome.
I write reviews quite often and try to be fair and balanced in my experience with a product. I can tell you in no uncertain terms I couldn't be more pleased with my bag... I really couldn't. This bag and this company gets my highest recommendation.
I have had this bag for about a year and a half and use it every day. The bag still looks brand new. There are no signs of wear, Velcro, zippers and elastic are still working great like they did the first day. I am a very organized person and all the organization compartments on this bag are great and never get in the way! I would highly recommend this bag!
A great all-around bag. The real standout feature of this bag is that it keeps its shape with or without my laptop in it. I have owned many a messenger bag that get all floppy and then sit funny on my back. With the Rickshaw bag, it sits on my back/shoulder comfortably in the same way regardless of what is in it.
Also the hardware doesn't dig into my shoulder, it lies flat again my shoulder area and is barely even noticeable. I've had it for over 6 months now and it still looks new.
This is almost the perfect bag. I travel pretty much every week, so my bag is really my lifeline, everything I need at a moments notice gets crammed into every possible spot. My Commuter 2.0 is a pretty solid bag, and I like it overall. There are definitely a few problems I've had, which prevent it from being perfect.
1) The key chain strap in the pocket broke fairly quickly, specifically the part that holds the keys to the strap. It's a minor thing, and easily replaceable.
2) The D rings where the main strap connects to the bag tend to shift around until the straight part is no longer aligned with the part that holds it to the bag. This puts the clip on the end of the main strap at the hard corner of the D ring rather than floating along the curve of the ring. This results in a clicking noise at every step when the metal rubs against metal.
4) The stop for the cinch on one of my water bottle holder pockets popped off one day and getting it back on seemed possible, but maybe with a tool, or some technique I couldn't figure out on the go.
3) The water bottle holders are slightly too small for some of the 1L water bottles I buy at various airports.
4) The pocket at the back where all the pens and stuff go isn't particularly well organized. The little pouches are various sizes, but some are too big, others too small. Stuff tends to pool up at the bottom, which is pretty normal, the placement of this along the back means that the pool of stuff at the bottom digs into your back and requires semi-regular readjustment. I would move some of these organizer functions to one of the front pockets.
5) the little wings at the corners of the bag where the big cover piece closes have decided that they want to close facing out instead of in. I ignored it the first few times and now they like going that way better.
6) The laptop sleeve is technically removable, but requires winning a significant battle with a large amount of velcro, not the kind of thing you can do at the security line. Some sort of quick release would be awesome here.
7) In an ideal world for me it would be a tiny bit thicker in the main pocket. Maybe .5 inches. I'm constantly just short of getting a laptop, charger, some documents, a book and an ipad in there.
On the plus side, the magnetic closures are awesome. It holds a decent, but not overwhelming amount of stuff. The materials used all feel good to the touch, and it's pretty lightweight. I like the front pockets placement and ability to access. It stands up on its own, unlike some bags that lose their form without stuff to harden them. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend Rickshaw products.